Flank Steak with Josh Cabernet Chimichurri Sauce
“When I started my first sommelier job, I invited my parents for dinner at the upscale restaurant where I worked and bought my dad the biggest steak on the menu. This recipe always reminds me of that night: one of the proudest moments of my life.” – Joseph Carr, Founder, Josh Cellars
- 1 flank steak (about 1 ¾ to 2 lbs)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. Josh Cabernet Sauvignon, divided
- 5 garlic cloves chopped (about 2 Tbsp.), divided
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups fresh parsley leaves
- 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp. red chili pepper flakes
- Place flank steak in shallow baking dish. Combine 1/4 cup wine and 1 Tbsp. garlic in small bowl. Pour over steak and refrigerate 2 hours. Turn steak, and marinate another 2 hours.
- Mix salt and pepper in small bowl.
- Combine olive oil, 2 Tbsp. wine, remaining garlic, parsley, oregano, chili flakes, and ½ teaspoon of the salt & pepper mixture in a blender or food processor. Blend, then transfer to a small bowl and refrigerate.
- Heat grill to high. Remove steak from marinade and season both sides with salt & pepper mixture. Grill about 4-5 minutes per side depending on thickness of steak, turning once. (The internal temperature in the thickest section of steak is 125°F for medium rare.) Remove steak from grill, cover and let rest 8-10 minutes.
- Slice steak and serve with sauce.
Our Cabernet Sauvignon was the first wine we made. This is the wine that started it all, setting the exacting standards that we hold ourselves to for all of our varietals. Round and juicy, our Cabernet Sauvignon has flavors of blackberry, toasted hazelnut and cinnamon, complemented by hints of vanilla and toasted oak.