Dark Chocolate Molten Lava Cake
makes 4 extra large individual cakes
- 1 cup dark chocolate, chopped (approx. 73% cocoa)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4-6 dark chocolate truffles
- canola oil spray or melted butter (for greasing the pan)
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar + 1 tsp cocoa powder (for dusting)
- 1 bottle of Murphy-Goode Cabernet Sauvignon- Order a bottle here
- Preheat oven to 395°.
- Apply melted butter or canola oil spray to an extra large muffin tin. (Note – you can use a regular size muffin tin, this will adjust the overall baking time and number of truffles used)
- Using a double boiler method put chopped dark chocolate and cubed butter into a glass bowl and place above simmering water. Stir until melted and smooth.
- Remove from glass bowl from heat. Slowly add powdered sugar and stir until incorporated. Add the vanilla, eggs and egg yolks and keep stirring.
- Follow by adding the all-purpose flour and combine until smooth.
- Add a large spoonful of mixture to the bottom of muffin cups. Place a truffle in the center and spoon more mixture over the top. Leave a quarter inch of room at the top to allow for baking.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes (13-15 minutes for regular size muffin tins) until the center appears to be cooked through, but be careful to not overcook.
- Remove from oven and let sit one minute. Carefully remove from the pan and dust with powdered sugar and cocoa powder before serving.
- Pour a glass of Murphy-Goode Cabernet Sauvignon and enjoy!