- 1 jar green maraschino cherries with stems (could not find green with stems)
- 1 jar red maraschino cherries with stems
- 2 cups Vodka (we used Foggy Mountain Latitude 45)
- 1 cup white chocolate chips (or go for the real stuff)
- Sanding sugar
- Drain the juice out of the jars of cherries.
- Pour in the Vodka for 12 hours or overnight (I soaked mine for 48 hours – left got busy)
- Drain the vodka from the jars and place the cherries on a baking drying rack to drain even more. The recipe I followed said to pat the cherries with a paper towel to absorb any excess liquid. That did not sound good to me, so I left the cherries on the rack for a few hours.
- Place the white chocolate chips in a bowl and heat in microwave at 20-second intervals Stir in between, until fully melted.
- Dip each cherry until approximately 2/3 covered in the chocolate. Twist the cherry around a little to let some of the chocolate drip off. If you have too much, the chocolate will just become a blob on your plate.
- Next, dip the cherry into a small bowl of sanding sugar.
- Let harden on the counter-top for a half hour or so. You can put them in the refrigerator to allow the chocolate to get firm, but I believe that by doing this, it takes the sparkle out of the sanding sugar.
This may seem like a lot of work, but it really is not – and besides, they are delicious and homemade!